WARNING: This Common Dog Toy Turned Deadly For Young Golden Retriever

Dogs absolutely love to play tug of war. The toy of choice for
many dogs and people who love to play this game is a twisted rope
toy. They come in all sizes and a variety of designs for all kinds
of tugging and tossing fun. What you may not realize is that they
can be fatally damaging to your dog when swallowed as one woman
painfully discovered recently with her beloved Golden Retriever,
Sam.

Photo
Vizla Dog Lovers/Facebook

What Started as Fun Play Ended in Tragedy

Indria Tuckler purchased some rope toys from retailer Home Goods
for her two Goldens. She felt that they looked well made and sturdy
and would not be destroyed easily by her dogs. The very same day
she brought them home, though, she found the toys unraveled and
ripped apart so she collected the pieces and discarded them in the
trash.

Sam, her 14 month old pup, became sick. She was vomiting, had
diarrhea, was drinking tons of water, and didn’t want to eat.
These are common symptoms
when your dog has ingested something foreign
or toxic.
Concerned, Tuckler took her to their vet to be examined. She told
the vet about the rope toy and although x-rays were performed they
were inconclusive. Ropes are difficult to see in x-ray images. The
only course of action to be taken was emergency surgery.

During the procedure, the vet removed 3 feet of rope that had
become entangled in her intestines as well as 14 inches of
intestines that had been torn in the process of her body attempting
to pass the rope. Sam survived the surgery, but heartbreakingly,
she died 2 days later. She’d become septic and was bleeding from
her intestines to her stomach. There was nothing anyone could do to
save her.

Photo
Vizla Dog Lovers/Facebook

What Happens When a Dog Eats a Rope Toy

The problem with rope toys lies in strands being swallowed.
Germantown Vet Clinic reports that
rope is just about the most dangerous object your dog can
swallow.
 The strands of rope can extend from the
stomach on one end and well into the intestines on the other end.
As the body works to move this foreign object through the digestive
system, the intestines cinches up, the rope acting like a
drawstring on a pair of pants. This is not only extremely painful
for the dog but also very dangerous. The rope rips and tears the
intestine walls, causing sometimes irreparable damage. Surgery is
the only option and as Tuckler learned, there is no guarantee of
recovery.


Toy Safety Tips

Although there is no guarantee that your dog will be completely
safe with any toy, there are some things to bear in mind that
improve safety. No dog toy is indestructible, and we recommend
allowing your dog to play in short sessions, which extends the life
of toys, and keeps the dog most engaged and interested. Do not
allow your dog to gnaw on the toy for extended periods of time.

Material choice is important. Our
AgriChew toy
is made from tough, yet flexible TPU material
(Thermoplastic polyurethane) that is pet-safe and non-toxic. The

BetterBall
is crafted with durable, pet-safe, non-toxic EVA
foam. The
Destroy-a-Saurus
is made from biodegradable non-toxic woven
hemp and its limbs re-attach for extra playtime.

As a part of our Project Play™ program
for every toy you purchase for your dog, a toy will be donated to a
shelter dog in need.

Spread the word about the dangers of rope toys. Share this post
with other dog lovers. Let Sam and her family’s painful
experience help save the life of another.

Featured Image Vizla
Dog Lovers/Facebook

The post
WARNING: This Common Dog Toy Turned Deadly For Young Golden
Retriever
appeared first on iHeartDogs.com.

Source: FS – Dogs – iHD
WARNING: This Common Dog Toy Turned Deadly For Young Golden Retriever